art print, Entrevaux by VanBart
Art print with the subject, the town of Entrevaux by VanBart, title and signature in pencil. The image is 24 x 23.5 cm in size and is in good condition.
1 in stock
This post is also available in: Nederlands
Entrevaux is a congregation, former episcopal seat (not bishop’s seat, which remained the diocese of Glandèves) and titular Latin Catholic see in the department of Alpes-de-Haute-Provence in the southeast from France.
Entrevaux was founded in the 11th century on the rocky spur in a corner of the river; the oldest registered name is Interrivos and dates from 1040. In 1536, Entrevaux fell to the troops of Charles V, the Holy Roman Emperor, betrayed by his lord Jacques Glandeves; half the population was slaughtered. The remaining population organized an uprising, cut the governor’s throat and offered the city to the French Dauphin, King François I. In recognition of this, Entrevaux received the Municipal Decree of Avignon and was proclaimed royal city of France, with residents are exempt from tax. In the 16th century the official seat of the bishop in the Glandèves cathedral in Glandèves was abandoned, and a new one, the cathedral of Entrevaux, was built in Entrevaux, although still the seat of the bishop of Glandèves. It served as a cathedral until 1790, but the sea continued to exist until 1801. In 1658 a bridge was guarded by towers and a portcullis above the Var; this is the modern Porte Royale. In 1690, military architect Vauban drew up plans to further strengthen the city due to its strategic location that guards the Var valley and on the border with Savoy. Although not fully completed, the citadel was fortified high above the city, particularly on the more accessible side closest to the hill tops, and a protected walkway was built along the mountain side of the city. Two small forts were fortified to protect the city and the two main gates – now the Porte d’Italie and the Porte de France. Entrevaux was briefly besieged in June 1707 by the royalist Savoyards under Chevalier Blaignac, but resisted and was relieved by the French troops. The citadel was last used during the First World War as a prison for German officers.