Engraving, Satyre, from 1694 by Bistel (Philippe de Buyster) after the design of Simon Thomassin
Engraving, Satyre, from 1694 by Bistel (Philippe de Buyster) after the design of Simon Thomassin. Dimensions of the image are 13 x 8 cm. The image is in good condition. The print delivered is in a spacious passe par tout.
1 in stock
This post is also available in: Nederlands
Philippe de Buyster , born in Antwerp in 1595 and died in Paris on March 16, 1688, is a Flemish sculptor, in 1653 he became naturalized French with his wife. In 1606 he started work placement with the Antwerp furniture sculptor Gillis van Papenhoven. He married Jeanne Vandalle in Brussels and then moved to Paris in 1622. The following year, after making a group of engravings on the Annunciation for the Church of the Jacobins, he was admitted to the Paris guild of painters and sculptors. He is then responsible for important works for a large number of churches and monasteries: the Feuillants rue Saint-Honoré in 1624, Saint-Nicolas-des-Champs around 1628, Carmelites from Chapon Street in 1631, Carmel de Pontoise in 1635, Hospital from Quinze-Vingts around 1636, Saint-Eustache in 1637. On May 19, 1632, he received a patent from the king’s painter and ordinary sculptor, accompanied by 600 pounds of annual commitments and a housing and studio at the Palais des Tuileries. He is credited with the statue of the tomb of Madeleine de Crèvecœur (died in 1634); then in 1636-1639, under the direction of Jacques Sarrazin, he sculpts fourteen statues for Claude de Bullion in the neville of Wideville. Still with Sarrazin, in 1640-1642 he sculpts important works on the facades of the Louvre, by architect Jacques Lemercier. Around 1644-1646 he worked at the Château du Raincy built by Louis Le Vau for the farmer general Jacques Bordier. In 1645-1649 with Sarrazin, he collaborated with carved decoration of Maisons-Laffitte castle built by François Mansart for René de Longueil. He received many commissions from burial monuments (1645-1656), for Parisian hotels (Hotel La Vrilliere Hôtel de Guénégaud in 1650-1651) and took between 1646 and 1667 on the site of the Val-de-Grace. He was admitted to the young Royal Academy of Painting and Sculpture on 2 September 1651, but left again on 2 January 1655.
He prefers the craftsmanship, and is admitted to the guild again at his request. This allows him to work on the buildings of King Louis XIV again: four statues for the Grand Rondeau in the petit parc de Versailles (1664-1666); sculpted decoration of the west facade of the palais des Tuileries. After a quiet period (1668-1671) he worked in the years 1671-1680 on the building site of the Palace of Versailles under the direction of Louis Le Vau and realized the poem satyric in marble, one of the 24 images of the “Great Command” by Charles Le Bruin for the garden of Versailles (1674-1680). From 1681 to 1688 he offered the decoration of the main altar and his own tomb to the chapel of Notre-Dame de Lorette according to his models. He died at the age of 93.
Simon Philippe Thomassin , is a French engraver who was born in Troyes in 1655. He was the son of an engraver in stamps. His name was also Simon Thomassin, Simon Thomassin. I am generally regarded as the engraver of Christ on the cross for the Romanian missal of the Abbot Joseph de Voisin in 1602. Simon Thomassin is the second cousin of the engraver Philippe Thomassin, first master of Jacques Callot, whose reputation grew in Rome towards the end of the sixteenth century. After acquiring the basics of drawing and engraving in his hometown, he went to Paris where he was a student of Étienne Picart and from there to Rome, where he studied at the Académie de France. Back in Paris, he is admitted to the Royal Academy. He paints portraits and religious subjects after Nicolas Poussin, Eustache Le Sueur, Bon Boullogne and Philippe de Champaigne. Simon Thomassin married Geneviève Bailly (1665 – 1729) on November 27, 1684. Geneviève is the daughter of the painter and engraver Jacques Bailly. An estimated ten children are born from this marriage, including the engraver Henri Simon (1687-1741) who will be his student and the painter Nicolas Thomassin (1697-1760. Simon Thomassin died on May 27, 1733, he was buried the following day in the basement of the chapel of the Virgin, in the Saint-Roch church of Paris.