Engraving, The Bishop Court in Utrecht, by Hendrik Spilman, after Jan de Beyer


18th century engraving, Het bisschopshof in Utrecht, by Hendrik Spilman, after Jan de Beyer. The image is 20 x 16 cm in size and is in a large passe partout. The engraving has been folded. (see picture)

1 in stock


This post is also available in: Nederlands

Jan de Beijer (Aarau (Switzerland), 24 September 1703 – Emmerik, 15 February 1780) was a Dutch draftsman of city and village views from the 18th century. Jan de Beijer was born in Switzerland, where his father Johan Jacob de Beijer recruited mercenaries for the Republic of the Seven United Provinces. At the age of six, Jan de Beijer moved with his parents to Emmerich. Around 1722 Jan de Beijer went to Amsterdam to learn the drawing trade with Cornelis Pronk. Cornelis Pronk (Amsterdam, 1691-1759) was then the best-known topographical draftsman in the Netherlands. Afterwards De Beijer lived in Emmerich and Vierlingsbeek from where he traveled to make drawings in Limburg, Gelderland, Eastern Brabant and the Lower Rhine area from Emmerich and Kleve to Uerdingen. Many of his works were included in books as illustrations, including “Het Verheerlykt Nederland”, a 9-volume publication from 1745 to 1774. His drawings were also purchased by private individuals.

De Beijer settled in Amsterdam in 1751, after which the emphasis of his work lay on the area around Amsterdam and Haarlem. Much of his work from this period can be found in De Atlas van Fouquet, a collection of 102 prints from Amsterdam, published by Pieter Fouquet (1729-1800). After his working period in Amsterdam, De Beijer left for the area around Kleve (where exactly is unknown). According to some sources he died in Emmerich, but Kleef and Doesburg are also mentioned as the place of death.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_de_Beijer

You may also like…