Etching, Nikolaikirche Hamburg, by Paul Geissler

65,00

Pre-war etching by Paul Geissler of the Nicolaikirche in Hamburg. The etching is titled and signed in pencil. The image is 27 x 18.5 cm in size and is in good condition. There are small folds and spots in the edge. The print is in a passe partout.

1 in stock

Description

This post is also available in: Nederlands

Paul Geissler was born on June 25, 1881 in Erfurt, where he studied as a decorative painter. This was followed by studies in drawing lessons with the painter Sondermann. After Paul Geissler visited the Kunstgewerbeschule in Erfurt for four years, in 1903 Paul Geissler became a master student at Prof. dr. Max Thedy at the Grand Ducal Art School in Weimar. He was commissioned by a Russian grand duke to build a private gallery. He also received orders from the German empress. He mainly focused on etching and during a study trip to Paris in 1910 he became acquainted with large format etchings. In 1912, Paul Geissler lived in Munich and was also elected to the board of the Association for Original Etchings. From 1912 to 1914 Paul Geissler traveled to the Netherlands, France, Liechtenstein, Belgium, Switzerland and Austria. From 1918 he lived in Garmisch-Partenkirchen and in 1943 he was appointed professor. He died on May 30, 1965 in Garmisch Partenkirchen. After his death, his etching plates were sold. All etchings subsequently produced lack the original signature.

& nbsp;

The neo-gothic St. Nikolaikirche used to be one of the five Lutheran main churches in the city of Hamburg. In the bombing of Hamburg during the Second World War, the church was largely destroyed and the rubble was removed, leaving the crypt, location and high spire, mostly hollow, with the exception of a large number of bells, together serving as a memorial and an important architectural monument. When residents of Hamburg mention the Nikolaikirche, it is generally this church that they mean, and not the new Hauptkirche dedicated to Saint Nicholas, in the Harvestehude district.

The church was the tallest building in the world from 1874 to 1876 and is the second tallest building in Hamburg. Since 2005 a lift has been installed on a 75.3 meter high platform.