Koninklijke Rotterdamsche Lloyd
14 picture postcards of ships from the fleet of the Rotterdamsche Lloyd. The prints contain the ships: Willem Ruys 3x, Japara 2x, Slamat, Blitar, Zeeland, Friesland, Marine Lloyd, Maas Lloyd, Madison Lloyd, Merwe Lloyd and Main Lloyd.
1 in stock
This post is also available in: Nederlands
The Koninklijke Rotterdamsche Lloyd (KRL) is a Dutch shipping company that was located in Rotterdam between 1883 and 1970. Until 1947 the name was Rotterdamsche Lloyd (RL). In 1970 the KRL merged with several other Dutch shipping companies to form the Nederlandsche Scheepvaart Unie (NSU), known from 1977 as Nedlloyd. The RL was founded on June 15, 1883, whereby seven ships, placed in partner shipping companies and under the management of W.m .. Ruys & Zonen, were united in one company. The company’s origins were in 1839 when the Rotterdam shipowner Willem Ruys J.D.zn (1809-1889) started sailing with sailing ships on the Dutch East Indies and the Far East. As a result of the opening of the Suez Canal, his son Willem Ruys (1837-1901) expanded the company in 1872 with a steamboat service to Batavia. In 1875 he founded the partner shipping company Stoomboot Reederij ‘Rotterdamsche Lloyd’, the name of which was changed in 1881 to Stoomvaart Maatschappij ‘Rotterdamsche Lloyd’, and which was eventually converted in 1883 into a limited company under the name Rotterdamsche Lloyd NV. In November 1947 the designation Royal was obtained, after which the name was changed to Koninklijke Rotterdamsche Lloyd NV. The RL mainly focused on shipping from Northwest Europe to the then Dutch East Indies via the Suez Canal