Les quatre chasseurs, chez le cure Arlotto
Engraving by Francois Forster after a subject by Giovanni da San Giovanni (Giovanni Mannozzi), printed and published by the Paris publisher Félix Hermet in the collection entitled “Le Musée du Louvre ─ Collection de 500 Gravures au burin Representant les Principaux Chefs d’Oeuvre de la Peinture en de la Sculpture du Musee du Louvre” published between 1877 and 1879. The image is 34.5 x 25 cm in size, the print is in good condition and comes in a passe-partout.
1 in stock
This post is also available in: Nederlands
Giovanni da San Giovanni (20 March 1592 – 9 December 1636), also known as Giovanni Mannozzi, was an Italian painter of the early Baroque period. Born in San Giovanni Valdarno, he trained under Matteo Rosselli. Mannozzi started the decoration of the Sala degli Argenti in the Palazzo Pitti and planned decorations at Villa La Petraia. His biography was featured by Filippo Baldinucci. In 1615 he painted two ceiling canvases of Putti Supporting the profile of Michelangelo for the Casa Buonarroti and in the same period frescoed a choir of musician-angels for the dome of the church of the Ognissanti in Florence. He also painted five lunettes showing scenes from the Life of St Francis in the cloister of the Ognissanti. In 1619–1620 he directed the façade decoration of Palazzo dell’Antella in Piazza Santa Croce of Florence. His masterpiece is said to be frescoes in the chapel of Saint Catherine inside the Palazzo Rospigliosi-Pallavicini in Pistoia. While escaping Florence during the plague, he painted some frescoes in the lunettes in the Santuario della Madonna della Fontenuova in Monsummano Terme. On the left internal wall of the chorus of the church of San Bartolomeo in Cutigliano, is a canvas of Mannozzi’s the Circumcision (1620). He painted a fresco cycle on the vault of the Mellini Chapel in Santa Maria del Popolo which displays The Story of Saint Nicholas of Tolentino in 1623–24. He died in 1636 and was buried in the church of San Pier Gattolino in Florence.
François Forster (22 August 1790 – 27 June 1872) was a French engraver. He was born at Locle, Switzerland. He studied in Paris under the engraver Pierre-Gabriel Langlois, and then studied painting and engraving at the École des Beaux-Arts, where he won the Grand Prix de Rome in 1814. The king of Prussia, who was then with the allies in Paris, bestowed on him a gold medal, and a pension of 1500 francs for two years. With the aid of this sum, Forster pursued his studies in Rome, where his attention was devoted chiefly to the works of Raphael. In 1844 he succeeded Tardieu in the Académie des Beaux-Arts. He engraved a number of historical subjects and portraits which enhanced his reputation.